ACHIEVING YOUR FULL POTENTIAL—THROUGH A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
We all want to be healthy and live long lives—enjoying our families, remaining independent, and pursuing our favorite activities as long as possible. The kind of lifestyle we live—from childhood through adulthood— is an important factor that determines how healthy and active we will be.
Chronic diseases—such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes and lung disease—are the leading causes of death and disability in the U.S. They account for seven out of every ten deaths in our country. They are very costly not only because they require large amounts of medical care, but also because they lead to disabilities and early death—creating financial and emotional hardships for families.
The good news is that chronic diseases are largely preventable. These four lifestyle changes, when combined with regular preventive care (such as tests for high blood pressure or diabetes), are proven to help prevent the disability and early death that come with a chronic disease:
- Getting enough physical activity;
- Eating better;
- Not using tobacco products;
- Limiting alcohol consumption;
- Getting preventive care.
We support your efforts to have a long and healthy life by:
- Sharing the most reliable, user-friendly information available about the best ways to adopt a healthy lifestyle;
- Mobilizing elected officials, organizations and individuals in our community to build programs and create policies that make the healthy thing to do the easy and affordable thing to do.
- Developing community-based initiatives like Ready, Set, Go! 5210 Kitsap, so people can find support for healthy eating and physical activity wherever they live, work, play, or learn in Kitsap County.
For more information, contact Yolanda Fong (360) 728-2275 firstname.lastname@example.org